This recipe is fantastic because you can use it with a whole range of mushrooms that you find out on your forage. Think Porcini, fairy ring, any edible bolete, horse mushrooms, field mushrooms, even chicken of the woods. It’s delicious and creamy – enjoy.
- 250g wild mushrooms - diced
- 250g cream cheese
- 1 medium red onion - diced
- 1 spring thyme - chopped
- 1 sprig mugwort – or sage - chopped
- 1tsp seaweed salt – or regular salt
- 1tsp ground alexander seeds – or pepper
- 30g butter
- 1tsp salt pickled wild garlic or 2 garlic cloves - chopped
- Melt your butter in a hot frying pan and add the onions, cook for 4 minutes until lightly softened
- Then add you mushrooms and continue cooking for a further 8 minutes, until nice and soft without too much juice
- Add everything but the cream cheese and cook for a further minute
- Place in a food processor and blitz until smooth
- Pop it in a bowl and put in the fridge to cool for 15 minutes – then stir in your cream cheese, crack a little more pepper on top and enjoy with nettle bread or crackers and of course elderberry red wine!
Book a Course
Join us on one of our deeply engaging wild food foraging and cookery experiences. The easiest way to develop your foraging and wild food cookery skills is to join a true professional out in the wild. Perfect for chefs, individuals, families and groups, either join us on one of our pre-arranged walks or enquire about a private event.
A Growing set of high quality printed guides to foraging and wild food cooking, to allow you to continue developing your foraging skills at your own pace in your own time.