Nettle Leaf Soda Bread
Nettle Leaf Soda Bread Recipe
Nettle leaf Seed Soda Bread
This nettle leaf Soda Bread has a vibrant green colour and all of the mineral and nutrient benefits the common nettle provides us with – the bread itself is hearty and perfect with soup. Tt’s the perfect bread to make up when you’re in a rush, the dough doesn’t need to be left to rise so this can be made within 1hour from start to finish.
Ingredients for one medium loaf:
- 350g Plain Flour
- 50g nettle leaves, powdered
- 1 tsp bladder wrack seaweed powdered, or salt
- 1/2tsp bicarbonate soda
- 240ml milk
- 1tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp. nettle cordial or 1tbsp. white wine vinegar
- Pre-heat and oven to 200C
- Place all your dry ingredients in a bowl and mix
- Add Half of the water and mix with your hand, whilst adding the rest of your water and oil
- Add in your nettle cordial
- Bring together quickly on a floured surface but don’t knead (it will seem more wet than a standard bread dough mix – this is normal)
- Place on parchment on a baking tray and score a deep X in the top (this helps it to cook evenly) and leave in the oven for 30-40 minutes until it sounds hollow from the bottom
- Eat straight away as it won’t keep over 2 days
Book a Course
Join us on one of our deeply engaging wild food foraging and cookery experiences. The easiest way to develop your foraging and wild food cookery skills is to join a true professional out in the wild. Perfect for chefs, individuals, families and groups, either join us on one of our pre-arranged walks or enquire about a private event.
A Growing set of high quality printed guides to foraging and wild food cooking, to allow you to continue developing your foraging skills at your own pace in your own time.