Wild Garlic Pesto
Wild Garlic Pesto Pasta
The pesto I made with wild garlic is thick, chunky and delicious with a huge range of recipes, from stuffing chicken breast to serving as wild garlic bread and of course the classic pesto and pasta – it’s truly versatile and can be bagged in zip seal bags and kept in the freezer for whenever you need it.
This recipe is quick, easy and has that classic taste that only simple cooking and fresh ingredients give you.
- One hand/50g fresh Wild Garlic – stems and leaves
- One hand/50g Nettle tops
- 80g cob nuts – crushes (or mixed nuts)
- 80g hard cheese grated - parmesan
- 100ml olive oil
- Basil to taste
- 10 Sorrel leaves (or the juice of half a lemon)
- 400g penne pasta
- Bring a pan of water to the boil, add a pinch of salt and the dried pasta, this will take about 8 minutes in which time you can make the pesto.
- Chop the nettles and wild garlic in to small pieces, use gloves so you don’t get stung.
- If you have a food processor, chuck the nettle, wild garlic, cob nuts and sorrel leaves and basil in and blitz very quickly, 10 seconds at a time so it’s well mixed but still crunchy.
- If not put the wild garlic, nettle tops, sorrel leaves and mixed nuts in a pestle and mortar and grind well, add basil as you like (I prefer it without)
- In a bowl mix the garlic, nettle and nut paste to the grated cheese and add oil until you reach a consistency your happy with, season to taste.
- Drain the pasta, place in a large bowl and toss the pesto through it, enjoy with garlic bread and an extra sprinkling of parmesan cheese.
Or Store the pesto in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, alternatively bag and freeze using within 1 year.
Book a Course
Join us on one of our deeply engaging wild food foraging and cookery experiences. The easiest way to develop your foraging and wild food cookery skills is to join a true professional out in the wild. Perfect for chefs, individuals, families and groups, either join us on one of our pre-arranged walks or enquire about a private event.
A Growing set of high quality printed guides to foraging and wild food cooking, to allow you to continue developing your foraging skills at your own pace in your own time.