I first began making this bilberry pie for my Grandma as it’s one of her favourite foods and have come to believe that the recipe below is the best for the pie as it makes your bilberries go quite far but also holds on to the fantastic flavours the bilberry has over its commercially grown cousin (the blueberry)
Makes 1 pie to serve 8
What you need:
To Make the Pastry (or use premade short crust pastry):
- 300g plain flour
- 3tbsp water
- 150g butter
- Pinch of salt
To make the filling:
- 500g cooking apples, peeled and cored (cut them as you like, diced, quartered)
- 200g bilberries
- 25g butter
- 100g caster sugar
To make the pastry:
- Add the flour, salt and butter to a large bowl and rub the mixture together (using your fingers is more fun but a spoon can be used) until it resembles bread crumbs.
- Now add the water, a tea spoon at a time, until your dough binds together sufficiently.
- Wrap this in cling film and place in the fridge for 15 minutes.
To Make the Filling:
- Heat the butter in a large pan and add the apples and sugar, leaving to cook for 5-10 minutes, depending on how soft you like your apples.
- Now add your bilberries and cook the lot for a further 2 minutes.
Bringing it together and finishing off:
- Pre-heat your oven to 200C
- Take a medium sized oven proof dish and rub more or any remaining butter all around the inside.
- Roll out one half of your pastry and use this to line your dish, you can either flash bake this now or put your filling straight in, either way – put the filling in.
- Roll out the other half of your pastry and place it over your filling, on top of the dish, and cut off any excess.
- Using a knife cut two 3cm holes in the top of your pie, sprinkle with a little more sugar and leave it to bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Serve this hot with thick cream or lovely vanilla ice cream and enjoy.
Book a Course
Join us on one of our deeply engaging wild food foraging and cookery experiences. The easiest way to develop your foraging and wild food cookery skills is to join a true professional out in the wild. Perfect for chefs, individuals, families and groups, either join us on one of our pre-arranged walks or enquire about a private event.
A Growing set of high quality printed guides to foraging and wild food cooking, to allow you to continue developing your foraging skills at your own pace in your own time.