Forage and Cook - Somerset
Get ready for an adventure with a Totally Wild UK professional forager! Join us on a journey to learn about the hidden world of wild edibles that surrounds
Get ready for an adventure with a Totally Wild UK professional forager! Join us on a journey to learn about the hidden world of wild edibles that surrounds us. And that’s not all! Enjoy a delicious wild food meal that will inspire you to pick up your foraging basket for your next adventure.
WHAT TO EXPECT
The foraging experience will last approximately 5-6 hours, giving you ample time to learn about foraging, explore the area, and enjoy a wild food meal!
You will be guided by a professional forager who will teach you about the rules and ethics of foraging. You’ll receive tips on how to confidently identify different plants, including their edible, medicinal, and herbal uses.
The foraging experience will involve a slow-paced walk with frequent stops to discuss and identify various plants, fruits, fungi, seaweeds, and tubers. The species you encounter may vary depending on the location, whether it’s an inland or coastal walk, and the season, but they’ll always be epic.
During the day, you’ll have the opportunity to sample an assortment of pre-made wild food items, including syrups, flavored salts, and alcohol infusions. These wild treats will give you a sneak peek into the incredible flavors that nature has to offer.
Following the foraging expedition, you can opt to participate in a communal cooking session, creating dishes that are inspired by the season and that celebrate the bounty of nature.
Past meals have included dishes like:
** Wild Garlic and Dehydrated Mushroom Fresh Rolls
** Elderflower Eton Mess
** Dandelion and Dulse Rice Noodle Salad
** Dandelion Root Crumb, Meadowsweet Cream & Birch Sap Syrup
After the event, you will receive an email detailing everything you foraged during the day, including harvesting tips, edibility and the best ways to get these tantilising ingredients into your everyday diets. The email will also include recipes from the lunch you enjoyed, so you can recreate the magic at home!
WHAT TO BRING
- Suitable clothing for the predicted weather, such as long trousers to protect against nettles and brambles.
- Sturdy footwear, preferably closed-toed shoes for off-path exploration.
- A drink, as some wild flavors may be strong, and it’s advisable to have water for the day.
- Snacks for the foraging walk, as lunch will be served around 2/3pm.
- A pad or paper if you wish to take notes.
- A blanket or chair for the communal meal, as seating options may vary depending on the venue.
- Your own bowl & cutlery if you wish to use yours
- Course details, including the specific meeting location and an introduction to your forager, will be sent via email on the Monday before the event. Ensure you check your inbox (and junk folder) for these details.
- The foraging experience is dependent on seasonal availability, so what you see and eat may vary from season to season and location to location.
- Children are welcome, and children under 12 can attend for free with one ticketed adult. While we cannot cater specifically for children, you are welcome to share your portion with them. Be sure to check the venue information for any age restrictions.
- You can inform us of any dietary requirements or medical conditions during the booking process, and we will do our best to accommodate your needs. However, we may not be able to cater for severe allergies.
Quants Nature ReserveDolling's Rd, Taunton TA3 7SUQuants Nature Reserve is a stunning site under the management of the Somerset Wildlife Trust. There’s mixed woodland and a marshy area here, providing a wide range of plants to learn about. This site is a SSSI, with good reason, so we do not pick or collect any plants here, but it’s a phenomenal place to learn. No toilets onsite Parking Children welcome (please note that one child under 12 is welcome to attend per ticketed adult, but we do not cater separately for children on our Forage and Cook events, so you be sharing your lunch!) Well behaved dogs allowed