Jubilee Waxcap / Autumn / Winter / Inedible
Welcome to an exploration of nature’s splendor as we admire the captivating beauty of the Jubilee Waxcap (Hygrocybe/Gliophorus reginae).
Join us on a journey where admiration meets caution. With its striking orange-red cap and elegant stature, the Jubilee Waxcap stands as a regal presence among mushrooms. However, it is important to note that this species is classified as inedible.
Learn to identify its unique features, discover its preferred habitats, and delve into its ecological role. While not suitable for consumption, the Jubilee Waxcap serves as a testament to the diversity and magnificence of the natural world. Embrace the intricate wonders of nature as we appreciate the aesthetic allure of the Jubilee Waxcap, respecting its place within the ecosystem. Let us marvel at its splendor and acknowledge the importance of accurate identification and responsible foraging practices. Stay captivated by the royal beauty of the Jubilee Waxcap while prioritizing your well-being and the conservation of our natural treasures.
Hygrocybe / Gliophorus reginae
On untended grasslands, like fields and pastures or graveyards also known to occur in damp open woods.
This striking lilac to pink slimy waxcap is very rare and shouldn’t be picked but photographed in situ. It like many other waxcaps prefers open fields to the woodland and prefers land that has not been treated or regularly mowed. There is nothing you could mix this waxcap up with as its colours make it incredibly recognisable.
Identifying Features for Jubilee Waxcap:
Pink a violet/purple the cap is very slimy and convex but will begin to flatten with age retaining an umbo or boss in the centre.
The pale pink stem is slimy.
Pink with pale greys and browns and are widely spaced. There are present transverse ‘gills’ running between the main gills. The gills are not slimy.
Indistinct mushroom smell
This mushroom is deemed inedible and has no medicinal benefits
This is an inedible mushroom and is also very slimy which makes them not only hard to pick but difficult to cook and make palatable.
This is found from September to December. however, this is inedible and is also quite rare due to habitat loss. It is best to leave this mushroom in situ.
This mushroom is deemed inedible. it is also incredibly slimy!
There is really nothing that looks like this mushroom it is very distinctive. So you shouldn’t mix this up with any other mushroom.