Raw Porcini Carpaccio Recipe
Sometimes when you find a perfect cep or porcini in the prime of its growth there’s nothing better to do than to keep it as fresh as possible and enjoy it in all its raw glory.
This is the quickest and most delicious use of fresh porcini. Some will steam it first and cook on a griddle as a cooked option which is also delicious.
- 250g fresh whole porcini
- Bulb(s) of garlic
- 1 lemon
- Pomace Olive Oil
- Good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch of fresh oregano
To Make the Confit Garlic (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- To make confit garlic in this recipe seems a bit much for one dish but as an ingredient to always have available I suggest making as much as fits in your roasting tray. Slice bulbs of garlic in half and place the exposed garlic sides face down in the roasting tray. Cover with pomace olive oil and roast for 20 minutes whist covered with foil. After 20 minutes turn off the oven and carefully place the confit wild garlic somewhere safe to cool. Once cooled you can take the now soft garlic segments out with a fork, place in a jar and pour over the cooking oil. So we have soft tasty garlic segments and a flavourful oil ready for many occasions.
For the rest:
- With a sharp knife thinly slice porcini and splay on a plate and season with good quality flaked sea salt and pepper.
- Grate the zest of half a lemon on top then squeeze the lemon juice being careful of the seeds.
- Dot around some confit garlic, its oil and a few fresh oregano leaves.
- Finish with extra virgin olive oil.
Sometimes the best things are kept super simple!