This makes a rich nutty butter.
If you’re looking for something a little sweeter why not check out our Sweet Chesnut Spread recipe here.
This nut butter is a great and interesting way to use up and preserve the abundant sweet chestnuts during their high season in October. It’s thick and sticky – think almond butter with a slightly more sweet flavour.
Ingredients (to make 2-3 average size jars):
- 500g sweet chestnut
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- a pinch of flaked sea salt
- Preheat the oven to the highest setting you have or 400C
- Cut an x into the skin of each sweet chestnut and place on a tray and in the oven – leave to cook for 15-20 minutes
- OR – Cut an x into the skin of each sweet chestnut and place in the microwave for 1 minute
- Whilst still warm but not piping hot-peel the skins and remove any fur off the chestnuts.
- Place back on the oven tray and roast the nuts with no skin on for a further 5 minutes.
- Place in a strong blender and blitz with the coconut oil and blend until smooth enough to pass through a sieve (usually about 5 – 10 minutes depending on the power of your blender.
- Add salt and enjoy