Words and imagery from @foraged.by.fern instagram
My favourite method of capturing the essence of meadowsweet is with this wonderful lemon and meadowsweet curd. The meadowsweet adds an incredible almond flavour to the classic curd. In little jars, it makes beautiful summertime gifts and can be spread on toast, cakes or pancakes and stirred into puddings and porridge.
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp lemon zest, finely grated
- 1 cup meadowsweet flowers
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, meadowsweet flowers and eggs
- Add the butter and cook over low heat, stirring continuously with a whisk, until the first bubble appears on the surface of the mixture and the curd is thick enough to show the marks of the whisk, about 6-8 minutes
- Strain the lemon curd through a fine-mesh strainer to remove the zest and flowers.
- Transfer the hot lemon curd to a bowl or jar and cover the surface with plastic wrap
- Refrigerate until cold, then take off the plastic wrap and replace with a lid.
- The curd keeps fresh in the refrigerator for about 1 week.