Bitter Bolete / Summer / Autumn / In-Edible
The bitter bolete is sometimes confused with the porcini mushroom, it’s edible but is very very bitter in flavour and is best avoided.
In any type of woodland but most often found in and around deciduous trees particularly Beech and Oak.
A non-toxic member of the Bolete family, but one to avoid as they are incredibly bitter and will ruin any meal you include them in.
Foraging Video for the Bitter Bolete
Identifying Features of the Bitter Bolete:
Brown to tan in colour they are convex when young but they tend to flatten out with age.
Slightly lighter in colour than the cap, they tend to be more bulbous towards the base, the stem is covered in a net like pattern that is darker than the stem itself.
Pores rather than gills, they are white when young but become pinkish with age. The pores will bruise pinkish and go brown when very mature.
Mushroomy, but some have said the smell is unpleasant.
Light pink to brown.
Technically edible but they are extremely bitter and are best avoided.
Other members of the Bolete family.
This mushroom has been the subject of research into bioactive compounds that have been tested for anti-tumour and antibiotic properties.