This risotto recipe is full flavoured, creamy and delicious. The best thing about this recipe is that you can add whatever wild ingredients you find to flavour it – meaning it will reflect the place you forage from and ingredients you can pick easily. Think chopped dandelion leaves, a sprig of mugwort or yarrow and whatever wild mushrooms you can find.
Ingredients: to serve 6
For the rice
- 800g risotto rice
- 5 – 2 ltr Veg Stock
- 4 white onions, skinned and sliced
- 3 chunky cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 50g parmesan cheese, grated (remove if vegetarian)
- 400g wild mushrooms or horse chestnut
- Other wild ingredients – hogweed shoots, nettle, sea aster, willow herb etc
- Heat a little oil in a deep pan and cook the onion until soft and browning. Increase the heat and add the mushrooms and cook.
- Add the rice and garlic allow it to absorb any juice from the pan.
- Add the veg stock slowly, about 50-100ml at a time, allow most of the juice to be absorbed by the rice before adding more. It should take about 20 minutes in total.
- Enjoy with a little grated parmesan.