This Rose hip Ketchup Recipe is one of my favourites from a mad year on ketchups and decided that this rose hip ketchup recipe was my favourite, however this can also be done with hawthorn berries as well. The ketchup contains all the 5 flavours you expect from a classic sauce and really delivers. It’s an amazing accompaniment to everything you’d use regular ketchup with – I personally like it on venison burgers with dandelion capers, cheese and wild salad.
Ingredients for our Rose hip Ketchup Recipe:
- 500g Japanese rose hips
- 300ml cider vinegar
- 300ml water
- 150g Brown Sugar (or Birch 100ml birch sap syrup)
- ½ tsp salt (or hogweed seed salt)
- 1 onion, skinned and finely chopped
- Add the rose hips, cider vinegar and water to a large pan and heat, with the lid on.
- Press the whole mixture through a sieve to remove the seeds from the rose hips.
- In a separate frying pan caramelise the onions with half the sugar.
- Add the rose hip and cider vinegar juice back to the large pan along with the caramelised onions, the rest of the sugar and the salt (at this point you can make your own additions with chilli flakes, raisins and whatever else you like)
- Boil vigorously for 10 minutes until thickened.
- Place in well cleaned jars, use within 1 year and within 2 weeks once opened.