Elderflower fritters are the quickest thing to make with elderflower, you can literally have them from the tree to fritters within 5 minutes – they couldn’t be more freshly picked. These are a brilliant as a midday snack and work brilliantly as a key to getting kids into foraging and exploring the outdoors.
Ingredients for our Elderflower Fritters:
- 100g plain flour
- 175ml sparkling water
- 2tblspn elderflower cordial
- 15 elderflower heads with stalk still on
- 1 egg white
- In a large bowl put the flour, add the sparkling water to it slowly stirring together between each pour to make a smooth batter, add the cordial and finish stirring.
- Whisk the egg white in to this batter mixture
- Pour a little oil in a non-stick pan and bring up to a medium heat
- Dip the elderflower head (the flower side) in to the batter mix, using the stalk like a handle to hold, give it a quick shake over the bowl to remove any excess batter mixture
- Put the battered head in to the pan of hot oil and allow to cook until golden brown, maximum of 3 minutes
- Take off, let it cool for 30 seconds and enjoy warm
- Add a little Elder Flower Fritter with Elder Flower Sugar