For me this Wild Garlic and Cheese Scone Recipe signal the end of winter and the beginning of spring, they taste truly amazing and I’m now asked to bake these for every spring occasion. What’s even better is that they can be baked and frozen for use later in the year, I just take them back out and give them an extra 10 minutes in the oven and they’re good to go.
Makes 6-8 scones
Ingredients for our Wild Garlic and Cheese Scone:
- 250g plain flour
- 75g unsalted butter, small chunks
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 50g mature cheese, grated
- 15 – 20 stalks or 70g young wild garlic leaves and stems, finely chopped
- 150ml milk
- Place the flour into a large bowl and add the butter. Rub the flour into the butter until it resembles fine breadcrumbs working as quickly and lightly as you can.
- Add the salt, baking powder, grated cheese, chopped wild garlic leaves and mix.
- Make a well in the middle and add the milk, a little at a time, mix with your hands or a large spoon.
- Grab a bit out and form a ball in your hand, then flatten the dough into a thick round on a floured surface and cut into wedges, it is best to handle the dough as little as possible. Place on a lined baking tray – you should easily make 6 large scones or 8 regular sized ones
- Bake in the middle of the oven 180C for 15-20 minutes until risen and lightly browned
- Enjoy straight away with a little butter spread on them or with your favourite soup or pasta dish.