With hogweed and three cornered Leeks
Green nettle and garlic soup – recipe ?this is nettle and wild garlic, but it’s a great way to use up any greens you have. Bar the onion/carrot you can freestyle this to use up whatever you’ve got.
Makes about 4 potions, 45 mins.
Wear gloves if you’re using nettles!! If you don’t have potatoes, use rice or stale bread to thicken.
Ingredients and Method
- Dice a white onion, a large carrot and a stick of celery.
- Sweat in a knob of butter in a large pan with two bay leaves
- once soft add two large white potatoes, diced, don’t bother peeling
- then add any greens you have – this has nettles, hogweed, wild garlic, three cornered leek and broccoli, but add whatever you’ve got. Fill the pot if you can
- Pour over 1 litre of boiling stock – chicken or veg. Cubes or stock pots are fine
- bring to the boil and then simmer with the lid on until the potatoes are soft
- fish the bay leaves out, taste and season with salt, pepper and lemon juice to your liking
- leave it to cool a little, then blend with a stick or in a jug – I like mine super smooth, but whatever goes for you
- serve with creme fraishe, sharp cheddar or blue cheese if you like (they go very well).