Wild Mushroom & Wild Greens Chickpea Frittata
A vegan frittata packed full of delicious wild garlic and wild mushrooms to enjoy as a delicious lunch! You could even take this as a travelling lunch whilst you are out foraging.
250g cup chickpea (gram) flour
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
2 teaspoons lacto-fermented wild garlic (or 1 teaspoon garlic powder)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
A couple of springs of wild marjoram or thyme (or other herbs of choice)
1 onion (or 3-4 spring onions), chopped
200g fresh wild mushrooms, roughly chopped
A handful of dried porcini mushrooms, soaked in boiling water for ~20 mins, then chopped
A couple of handfuls of wild greens (e.g. dandelion leaves, fat hen, chickweed, garlic mustard)
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/Gas 4 and lightly grease or line a shallow loaf or pie tin
2. In a large bowl, mix the chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, garlic, baking powder and salt.
3. Slowly whisk in water until combined and smooth. Add the fresh (or dried) herbs.
4. Heat olive oil in a large frying pan to a medium-high heat. Add the onion/spring onion and stir fry for 4 to 5 minutes until softened.
5. Add the chopped mushrooms, and allow to cook for a further 5 minutes until softened
6. Finally add the wild greens and cook briefly to allow to wilt (~1 minute)
7. Remove from heat and stir into the chickpea batter.
8. Pour into prepared baking dish and bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes until set in center and slightly browned on top.
7. Remove from oven, allow to cool in tin for about 10 minutes on a cooling rack then turn out (using a knife if needed). Serve warm, room temperature or chilled.
Written by Forager Hannah