Wild Leaf Salad
Realistically any mixture of wild edibles can be chucked in to a bowl and when dressed with tasty vinaigrette, something warm like wilted nettles and wild garlic and something crunchy like croutons or fried bacon and it will taste just delightful. Some of the ingredients mentioned below haven’t been discussed in detail in this book but to give you an idea of the types of salad you can create.
Ingredients to serve 3:
- 200g gem lettuce, roughly chopped
- Mix of wild salad ingredients, sorted, chopped and washed – think miners lettuce, dandelion leaves, chickweed, pennywort, sea purslane leaves (if nettles or hogweed then wilt)
- 50g feta cheese, diced
For the vinaigrette:
- 50ml nettle cordial or lemon juice
- 50ml apple cider
- 20ml olive oil
- ½ tsp lacto wild garlic or half a garlic clove well chopped – Recipe here
- In a hot pan fry of your bacon lardons until brown and crisp – approx. 5 minutes. Don’t throw away the residual oil in the pan as it will add flavour to something else if your frying it.
- If wilting wild salad ingredients cook in a separate pan with a little water until soft – approx. 3 minutes.
- In a large bowl mix all of the salad ingredients loosely (if vegetarian remove the lardons, if vegan remove lardons and feta)
- Place all the vinaigrette ingredients, put the lid on, shake well and pour over your salad.